Monday 23 February 2015

Mate's First Show

The day started on a fantastic note; loaded in only half an hour (third time ever being in a float), and was surprisingly chilled once we got there in the early hours of the morning. 


Because we had soooo much time to kill, we wondered around watching other tests and watched our friend and her thoroughbred, Bently, and their tests. 

We managed to get him in and out of stables, and obviously scary-horse-eating  areas, without too much fight. 

 
At about 12:30, I started tacking up. 
We warmed up in the massive (and not to mention, beautiful!!) indoor arena and he was really good about it - calmer than what I thought he was going to be. 

He didn't like the idea of going along the long sides near the barriers or picking up the right canter lead, but I was still pretty happy about his behaviour while being in a completely new environment and having a truck load of horses cantering past him. 


A bit after that, it was time for our test; Preliminary 1.2. 

An easy first test, that Mate was more than capable of doing well in. 


But... Unfortunately, things didn't really go to plan. The arena was full of water from the bad weather all day, and had pools of water at every which step. I let every bad thing ever get to me and was more of a mess than he was - crying the duration of a dressage test was probably not a very good idea. 

Although the end of the test was better, I was still extremely disappointed about my efforts of the day. 

We got illuminated for stepping out. 



The float ride home, was another nightmare. It took a solid two hours to get him back on - another eye opener. 



For Mate's second ever time being on a float, in a new environment and away from Glenworth, and his first ever show experience, his behaviour was impeccable - even though I was disappointed, I was still proud of Mate for giving everything a go. 

Number one thing now, is to get him out as much as possible, and some serious float training. 


I'm thankful for everyone's support on the day and every other day! 

I do have one amazing horse and some amazing friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment